Monday, July 31, 2017

Half Marathon Training - Week 5

What a rough week for training. So much going on with home searching and my cat being sick again. However, I have good news on all three fronts; 1) Found a house and made an offer!!!!!!!!! 2) Cat is improving 3) Still got in some good training last week and this week should be a good one.

HM Week 5

Swimming
I wasn't able to get in any swim sessions.

Cycling
Because my legs were hurting my Sunday, I swapped my long run with a long ride. It wasn't really as long or intense as I would want, but I was riding with my Dad and I am trying to help build up his conditioning so we can do a century ride in late September. The ride felt really good, although my new bike shorts were giving me some issues in the nether regions because the chamois was really bulky. I am used to tri-shorts with the ultra-thin chamois. Oh well, another thing to get used to.

Running
I only got in one run early in the week. I wasn't feeling really well and was exhausted. I still got in the run though. At some points I had to walk for 30 seconds because I was having trouble breathing. I am not happy I had to skip my long run this week either, but I will be good this upcoming week.

Strength
I got in two of the three NTC sessions in. I literally was not around long enough over the weekend, aside from my bike ride, to get in the third session. I am kind of bummed, because it was one of my favorite NTC routines; The Descent. I will keep trying to force myself to get all of my strength sessions completed each week though. The more sessions I am getting the better I am feeling during cardio workouts and the quicker I recover.

Nutrition
I was able to get almost everything logged during the week. Even though I didn't log the weekend, I still did pretty well with portions and calories. Sunday I had two cupcakes from Wegmans though, but I have no regrets because oh man are the delicious! Plus I rarely eat them.

Final Thoughts
Basically family overrode my time for exercising, and that's about the only excuse I accept. I shouldn't have anything major this week and the weather looks to be great, although super hot, and I hope to get all of my workouts in. Have a great week!

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...