Monday, July 10, 2017

Half Marathon Training - Week 2

I started off the week well, but I think my body is far from being used to this level of fitness activity. So, starting Thursday, I had to take 2 days off. I was hit with some severe allergy issues which were causing my chest to constantly hurt and be short of breath, even after taking allergy medication. I really didn't like missing a run and 2 strength sessions, but I am pretty sure I am better for it right now. On a good note, I have these two training weeks under my belt now, plus the prior weeks of running, so I now have a good idea on paces for training. They aren't the paces I want, but all that matters is I have baselines now so I can start tracking my progress more accurately as well as making planning a lot easier.

HM Week 2

Swimming
I didn't have time for swim sessions, but plan to resume swimming during Week 3.

Cycling
I didn't have time for cycling sessions, but plan to get a long ride in during Week 3.

Running
I got 4 out of 5 runs completed. Fortunately, I only missed an easy run day. I just wish I could have done some other sort of cross training in its place; but my allergies prevented me from doing anything at all. I was finally alright to run again Saturday, which went really well. However, my Sunday long run was not as great. Although I completed my 6 mile long run, my hips and lower back were excessively tight, even despite my efforts to stretch earlier before the run. My last 2 miles were really tough since my left hip was in pain. The final mile I was concerned I might have to walk since I was struggling to keep good running form. Fortunately I was able to keep proper form and finished out the run. My hip is still a little tight and sore, but nothing is injured and I feel great otherwise.

Strength
I only got one of my three strength sessions in this week. As I already noted, wasn't feeling well. I will be extra vigilant not to miss my strength during Week 3, as I need to keep building muscle and work on keeping my muscles loose to prevent any running injuries.

Nutrition
I didn't bother logging anything this week and my nutrition was healthy, but portion sizes out of control again. After my long run Sunday and feeling bloated and weighed down, I am getting my act together and starting logging and watching my calories in going forward.

Final Thoughts
I hit a new long distance record since I have been back from injuries. Aside from muscle tightness and the resulting hip pain, I am feeling great and will be adding additional stretching to the mix. I look forward to some hard training and a 5k time trial this upcoming weekend. It will be a time trial since I was too cheap to pay an entry fee for a 5k race.

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...