Monday, August 14, 2017

Half Marathon Training - Week 6 & 7

And back to the cat not doing well again. What a roller coaster! Plus a lot of stuff in prep for closing for our new house. So, that's why I am behind on my training blog. Week 6 went alright, with me only missing 1 run and 1 strength session. Week 7 was pretty bad. I was able to at least salvage the week by getting in a training ride for my century event. I am not sure what new adventures this week will have in store, but as usual I will be doing my best to get in as many training sessions as possible.

HM Wk6a7


Swimming
I did not get any swimming sessions in.

Cycling
I got in one training ride each week. Week 6's ride went well for the most part. There were amazing headwinds though, which I had to battle for over an hour of the ride. I was completely drained and exhausted, but wow was that a great training session. Yesterday I got in another ride, just under three hours. I will be shooting for a 4 hour ride this upcoming weekend as a benchmark for my endurance for my Ironman.

Running
Week 6 I got in 3 of my 4 runs. All went pretty well. My back was a bit tight though for my long run, the day after my intense bike ride. Since I didn't stretch enough, this run was a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. I still did fairly well considering though. I got in no runs for Week 7, which is definitely going to hurt my progress, but I will resume training this week and adjust accordingly.

Strength
I only got in one of two sessions for Week 6 and none for Week 7. My lack of consistency with strength is starting to show a lot in my training and day-to-day life. I will be incorporating daily strength sessions of about 5-10 minutes twice a day, in addition to my 2-3 strength sessions per week. I really need to build up my core to prevent injuries.

Nutrition
I tried logging my food as best as I could, but it was tough keeping consistent with everything going on. I did alright on nutrition overall though. I have a lot to improve on, which I will continue to make strides towards.

Final Thoughts
Overall a really rough two weeks. Week 6 was good overall from a training standpoint at least. In addition to everything else, I will be trying to my hardest to get more sleep, as my 4.5 hour average sleep time per night is really starting to weigh heavily on me. Good luck everyone!

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...