Monday, March 5, 2018

My Journey To Ironman - The Plan




I am getting to this a bit late, as I am already starting my second phase of training this week, but I like to document my races so I can have a historical look at what I was thinking, doing and how I handled a specific race or training plan. Plus, if I help someone out along the way, it's an added bonus. With that long-winded intro out of the way, here we go!

I signed up last year for Ironman Lake Placid, which will be my Ironman race. My ultimate goal is to qualify for Kona, but this race will be a good gauge to see how realistic that is.

The Training Plan

The training plan I will be using is the Intermediate Plan from Be IronFit: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness by Don Fink and Melanie Fink. Due to my Disney Dopey Challenge and timing of the Ironman and this plan, I had to skip the first three weeks of the plan. However, I figured with all of the running, I would at least have that base covered.

The plan has three parts; Base, Build and Peak. The program is 30 weeks long, with each phase being 10 weeks long. All of the programs in the book are 30 weeks.

The Base Phase focuses on building up your cardiovascular endurance. I do want to note, however, Intermediate assumes you have a certain amount of base in each of the three disciplines; swim, bike, run. There is a "Just Finish" program which is actually pretty good if you just want to complete an Ironman.

The Build Phase works on building you up to the duration and intensity for your training. Since the workouts, aside from the swims, are time-based, you might not hit the distances you would typically get in distance-based training programs. However, it's more important to condition yourself for duration then a distance, as only doing distance can be limiting for long endurance races.

Finally the Peak Phase is where you get into the fine-tuning of your training so that you have not only the endurance to complete the entire race, but can complete it with a decent time (for you).

Estimated Times

With this being my first Ironman, and only one official 70.3 race under my belt, I don't really have a lot to base my goal times on. To make it even more difficult, my Disney training was only about completion since I spent a lot of time getting pictures with characters and taking in the sites. Plus I wasn't doing any riding and virtually no swimming, so I didn't have a good base to work from either.

Regardless, I have used my times from Disney, my first few weeks of training in the Base Phase, and what I feel would be good times for me, and tried to come up with a base time. For the swim, which is 2.4 miles, I am looking at 1 hour 45 minutes, which is about 2:30 per 100 yards. Sadly, compared to most swimmers, I am extremely slow. And with the Ironman, I don't see myself having enough time to really make huge speed improvements. For the bike, which is 112 miles, I am looking at 7 hours, which is about 16 MPH. This is rather slow given historical performances, but with the lack of bike training I have for my base, plus the amount of rides I have missed in Base, I do not expect to be around my usual 18 MPH. For the run, which is 26.2 miles, I am looking at 4 hours 30 minutes, which is a 10:19 per mile pace. With a generous 10 minutes per transition, I am looking at a base time of 13 hours 35 minutes 36 seconds.

Preparation

In a perfect world, I would have been doing a strength training program with swim/bike/run cross training during "off-season" and then hop into Ironman training raring to go. However, I had some races last year and due to Disney, never had an off-season. Plus I just haven't really done enough strength training at all for this. With that being said, I decided to start doing some NTC workouts to increase my mobility and flexibility during my Disney training, as well as just keeping up with my stretching. During Ironman training I will be incorporating NTC strength routines to help me out.

Time Commitment

I won't lie, the amount of time required to Ironman training is not light. Even the "Just Finish" program requires 8-10 hours per week. If you include strength training with this, add another hour or two per week. In short, it's almost like having a part-time job while having a full-time job and a family / life. However, I have a very supportive wife and have figured out how to incorporate training into my daily life, so I should be set.

I'll be posting overviews and recaps of each training phase after I complete them, as well as doing a full review of the Ironman Lake Placid when the time comes. Good luck to everyone out there with their training and races!

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...