Monday, March 12, 2018

My Journey to Ironman - Base Phase

The first 10-week phase of my Ironman training is complete! It had a lot of ups-and-downs, as well as some hurdles for me to get over, but overall I would say it was successful. I feel it has me mostly prepared for the build phase; "mostly" because I couldn't do the first three weeks and started off too aggressively.

Overview
As I previously noted, the phase is 10 weeks long and has workouts for swim, bike, and run. There is a weekly brick workout to prepare you for the ever-rough transition from biking to running.

In addition to a good volume of workouts, you get a fixed rest day, which is very nice. All workouts are also duration-based, aside from swimming.

Swimming has a variety of 2500 yard / meter routines that alternate throughout the weeks. It definitely feels like the author put some thought into the order of the swims, because they seemed to really progress in a way that I was able to handle.

My Opinion of Phase I of the Plan
Overall this is a solid base plan for Ironman training. Even though I missed the first three weeks, since I had a good base for running at least, I was able to jump in with only skipping some of the doubles, and was able to eventually build to get most of the doubles.

One of my pet peeves with this plan, as with most plans out there, is the lack of strength training. I have yet to find a book, coach, or triathlete who says doing zero strength during training and competitive season is a good idea. Sure, the type of strength training will be different, with more full-body focus and fewer sessions, but you still need it. And yes, many strength suggestions are for functional and core strength, but again, you see the theme here; you need strength training.

With my ranting over, I want to note that it's ideal to have an off-season of strength training, which I have mentioned before. Unfortunately for me, I was in the middle of Disney Dopey training during what should have been my off-season. So, I am at a disadvantage in that area. And there is no such thing as playing catch-up. Therefore, I have opted for the next best thing, or so I think, and doing NTC (Nike Training Club) workouts. I have always been a big fan of Nike's approach to this training. And therefore, I am using it with this plan to keep myself loose and gain a little strength along the way.

How I Did
I already noted how I skipped the first three weeks due to other activities. If you want, you can send me a friend request on Strava and follow along with all of my workouts. Or you can read the rest of this section for an overview.

Swim
Much to my excitement, although not my skin's, I made all of my swim workouts! Now, just to be clear, my first few swims were not 2500 yards. Before this training plan, I have swam 2500 yards twice before; once in training and then again at a race. Therefore, 2500 yards is the farthest I have ever swam. I wanted to make sure I eased into it.

Surprisingly, I ramped up the 2500 much quicker than expected. However, this was at a cost. Many of my swim days were so taxing on me that I was not able to do the additional run or bike, usually bike, workout. This was a choice I made because I needed to make sure I could handle 2500, as the next phase of training jumps to 3k yards / meters three times per week, which is a dramatic bump.

Bike
I have no good excuses here; I did very little riding. I have an awesome "pain cave" set up, and it's perfect for riding indoors. I just don't like riding that much, especially inside. And I much rather be running. Therefore, I had unlimited excuses on training days to skip my rides.

Phase 2 will cover the rest of March, all of April, and the beginning of May. Therefore I plan on getting much more riding in, especially later in April since I'll be biking to work.

Run
Aside from missing my runs for my brick workouts, I hit almost all of my runs. Like I always mention, I love running. I would probably run 7 days a week if I didn't do triathlon. All of the runs this phase were straight-duration. This means no intervals or speed-work were mixed in. I pretty much kept at a certain HR zone (level 1-2) for most of my runs. I did change things up a bit when I did hill runs, since my HR would usually get to Zones 3 and 4.

Bricks
I got in a few bricks, and skipped the rest. With how tired I was getting, I chose to use my brick days as additional rest days. From a recovery standpoint, this worked out really well. However, from a conditioning and "base" standpoint, this definitely hurt me and it will provide additional challenges in the Build Phase.

Strength
I wanted to start out with incorporating strength, but I did not. This hurt me big time, as my first week my muscles couldn't handle the load, and I ended up bonking the following week on almost everything. So, I took a large segment of the training to get back into my stretching routines to get myself to a point where I wasn't hurting before and after my workouts.

Once I achieved that, I switched to NTC workouts. My focus is on body weight routines, with an emphasis on flexibility and balance. For the most part I did pretty well sticking with the routines; but when push came to shove, my IM items took precedence over the strength, which is something I will make sure is not an issue in the next phase.

Notes for Improvement
In regards to consistency, I did pretty well on swimming and running. However, my biggest areas for improvement are in strength and biking. As I mentioned, with the weather getting warmer in another month or so, I'll be biking into work whenever I can, so that will help a lot with saddle time.

I have my strength routine mostly figured out now, so strength training in the Build Phase should be a bit easier to handle.

The major issue I had in the Base Phase, which I am hopefully going to start improving on in Build, is sleep. My horrible sleep routine causes me to crash by the weekends. Therefore, I missed many Saturday and Sunday long workouts, which I cannot afford to miss in Build. With things finally starting to normalize at the house, I think getting a better sleep routine shouldn't be too bad.

See you in 10 weeks!

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...