Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Disney Training - Week 8

What a week! I am really happy with what I achieved and overall felt great! I did not get my fifth run in, but my legs were extremely dead and I decided to play is safe and not risk injury. I did however get in swims, which helped me immensely. I am sure I could have done better with recovery, but I did not get in all of my stretches like I have been in prior weeks.

Dopey Week 8

Swimming
I got in two swim sessions this week!!!! Both felt really good. Unlike my usual recovery swims, I actually did two swim workouts. Both consisted of varying interval drills. Even though my Garmin watch didn't capture a huge chunk of my first swim, I didn't really care. The results were my quicker-than-usual recovery.

Cycling
I had hoped to get a session in on Friday or Sunday, but I came up with excuses not to. I'll try to work on that for next week, but I rather get in swims.

Running
I completely four out of five scheduled runs; including my long run. Overall all of my runs felt amazing. I did have some strange pains in my left leg during my long run, but they were associated to not stretching enough, which caused my nerve damage and back issues to flair up, which causes issues in my left leg. But it was temporary and even though I was completely exhausted after my long run, I was still able to do tasks around the house afterward.

My pace for each run was consistent with my what have been training for. Even though slower than I want, I am right on track for my modified goals. All that matters is I keep proper form, stay injury free, and enjoy my runs; all three of which I am doing. I am hoping to have another successful week coming up!

Strength
As I noted already, I did not get in all of my stretches. I am sure some of my runs would have started a little better if I had done them. On a good note, I think I have figured out a generic strength routine I will be starting up this upcoming week. I wanted to start back to NTC, but I just don't have the time.

Nutrition
I definitely slipped a bit on nutrition. I snacked a lot more than I usually would, but overall still ate healthy. I was inconsistent with logging my food into MFP, and will continue to work on improving this.

On some other nutrition fronts, I have moved full swing into race fuel; before, during and after. Although I can't seem to get around the Nuun carbonation issue in my small bottles, I have it before and after my runs, specifically Nuun Active, and it's been helping my run and post-run out a lot. In addition, I have been using Honeystinger gels instead of Gu's and random snacks and my body has been reacting very well to them. For long runs I have also been including Honeystinger Chews, which I finally mastered eating and not getting them stuck in my teeth or accidentally falling out of the pouch when I open it. I also have been using Quest Protein powder for post workout for any big workouts as well, which has helped keep my insane hunger cravings at bay. I still have some tweaking, but I think I have found a really good fueling spot.

Final Thoughts
A great week and I look forward to many more. I realized during my long run this week that even though I am training for Disney Dopey, I am really base training for my Ironman later in 2018. It was kind of cool to think about it, even though a bit daunting. If I can keep this week's momentum going, I'll be right on track.

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...