Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Some TrainerRoad Things I Have Learned So Far

I decided to take the plunge into structured indoor cycling workouts to both help my endurance and improve my overall cycling training. I have tried doing my own thing for years, where I will focus on drills and do cadence training. Don't get me wrong, it has worked really well. For an outdoor ride with hills, my longer rides have gone from averaging 15 mph to 19+ mph. However, I am training not only for an Ironman right now, but my goal is to qualify for Kona. This means putting out some serious bike speeds in addition to exponentially improving my swimming.

Accuracy
If you don't have a smart trainer or a power meter, don't take the actual FTP value as absolute. For example, I know my one friend can turn out some pretty decent power, but my base FTP after my FTP Test was insanely higher than his; 344 for reference. However, that doesn't mean this isn't a really useful number. Along with FTP/kg, you can really plan and gauge progress. Instead of focusing on actual FTP, I'll be focusing on my percent improvement over time. Therefore I will still be gaining all of the benefits I need from knowing this data. The only time accuracy is more important is if you are competing with friends, which I am definitely not, and would buy a power meter if I was.

Heart Rate Broadcasting - Garmin 935XT
Since I am back indoors, plus TrainerRoad needs at least a speed sensor, I put my Garmin speed and cadence sensors back on my bike. Pairing was easy once I had the Ant+ iPad dongle and the 30-pin to lightning adapter. However, my first workout got me stuck with 2 workouts showing up because my HR was tracked on my watch and power and related metrics on TrainerRoad. I learned the other day that the Garmin 935XT, along with many of the newer and more high-end Garmin devices, can broadcast HR for other devices to pick up. This worked and I am so happy. Here is what I did.

On Garmin 935XT Watch
1. Hold "Up" button then scroll to and select "Settings"
2. Scroll to and select "Sensors & Accessories"
3. Scroll to and select "Wrist Heart Rate"

4. Scroll to and select "Broadcast Heart Rate"

5. Your HR is now broadcasting and your app can pick up the data and you can do your workout

You perform this each time you do your ride. Once this is enabled, you do not need to start the activity on your watch. Just leave it as-is. You can now find and sync it with the TrainerRoad app. Perform your ride and enjoy!

You Don't Need an Expensive Trainer
Most people think you need an expensive trainer that measures power and can automatically adjust resistance when hooked in with training apps such as TrainerRoad. I beg to differ, as I am a very cheap triathlete and hate spending money on gear. I purchased a standard magnetic trainer on Amazon for about $50 and that's as smart as I went.

TrainerRoad, not sure about others like Zwift, has a fancy chart to allow you to match a supported trainer with the trainer you have. This obviously adds to less accuracy of FTP, but you can read above for my explanation on that. You will definitely need to buy a skewer, however, as trying to use the quick release that is common on most road and tri bikes doesn't really fit too well and you will be prone to the bike coming loose and risking some serious injury. Other than that, you will need a PC, MAC or iOS device that has an Ant+ adapter. Once you have these things, you are good to go. 

I hope to add more tips and tricks as I learn more. Enjoy your next workout!

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...