Monday, September 16, 2013

Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon - Expo Review

As with last year, Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Expo was held at the Philadelphia Convention Center; one of my preferred locations for expos in Philly. Sometimes the races use the stadiums or other venues, and they are always too crowded and packed. Parking in the garage was $17.76, hah. However, if you just park a couple blocks away at a lot, you can get away with anywhere from $10-$12. This is what I did.

I was a little surprised security was so light, as last year there was a lot more. Also, there were a lot more vendors and giveaways last year. You can go this link to see the vendor list. Also, the speaker events were not as interesting and useful this year. You can see the list of speaker events at this link.





As usual, you walk in through the archway to the race bib pick-up area. The line for my corral had no wait, so I got my bib after showing photo idea and handing over my signed race waver. From here I picked up my tech shirt, then my swag bag. You can see the pictures below.


After this, we proceeded into the usual Brooks Zone. It's basically a very large area dedicated to Brooks, since they are a major sponsor. They had a fun zone called Brooks Run Happy Island. Below is a video of a guy riding a shoe; good times.


After you leave the Brooks area, you are off to the other booths. I stopped at all of them, got some free stuff and samples. Nothing really exciting for me this year as I pretty much have all of the running gear I need now. I did pick up some compression long sock; 2 normal pairs and 1 reflective. With the weather starting to get cooler, they will be helpful since my outside runs will start being in complete dark for AM or PM runs, as the days are getting shorter. Other than that, my wife got a pair of compression socks as well, a free visor, GU's, and some other running items. We both got medal hangers and I got another magnetic bumper sticker from Gone for a Run, one of our favorite vendors for non-running running items. Last time we got bib binders and some other magnetic bumper stickers.

Despite there being a good amount of vendors, it was a lot less than last year, and a lot less packed. Last year the whole hall was filled with vendors and there was a lot of food and handouts. This year there was no food, a large amount of the hall was empty, and most vendors were stingy with handouts.

However, still a good time and I highly recommend going to the expos so you can at least get discount vouchers or fill out surveys to get free gear...it all comes in handy. Plus, a lot of vendors will offer high discounts at the expo; not as many discounts this year, but still some plenty of them. It also gives you a chance to try out gear so you can consider it for your next race or training.

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...