Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Does my business need Windows 7?

In follow-up to my Vista post, I wanted to touch base on Windows 7. If you are still on Windows XP and have not taken advantage off all Windows 7 can do for your business, you may want to upgrade...quickly! In a nutshell, Windows 7 is what Windows XP was when it came out...the new and best solution. When it comes to networking support, stability, performance, and flexibility, Windows 7 has it all.

Now, despite me pushing people to upgrade, I do want to toss some words of caution, especially to companies with small IT budgets. Although Windows 7 may be able to really help your business, there are a few pitfalls that many companies are not aware of. First off, system requirements. If your computers are more than a couple years old, there is a good chance they may not support Windows 7. You can view the minimum requirements at Microsoft's Windows 7 site. So this means you may need to buy all new computers. Although computers have gotten much cheaper, to get decent business systems, it is still going to cost you a good bit. I recommend Dell, HP, or IBM. If you have a good IT staff and don't need vendor support or warranties, then I suggest either building your machines or finding other places like TigerDirect or NewEgg-type sites to get good system at super cheap prices.

The next big problem is software compatibility. For many companies, they are using software that may be 10+ years old. Most of these applications are not compatible with Windows 7, especially Windows 7 64-bit. So, before upgrading, make sure you know if your company's software is compatible, or you will be having the biggest headache. Other than those 2 precautions, there should be nothing else stopping you from upgrading to Windows 7. I hope to post some cool features in later posts.

My Journey to Ironman - Build Phase

The next 10 weeks are now complete. They were pretty rough, mainly because I was very sick twice. I missed out on a lot of long rides and ...